Founded in 1991, UMBA is an organization of Utah lawyers committed to promoting diversity and addressing issues that impact racial and ethnic minorities, especially within the legal community. UMBA membership is open to all members in good standing of the Utah State Bar who agree with the purposes of the association. We strive to:
- Provide a forum for communication among attorneys and others interested in promoting the professional advancement of minority attorneys and the social and civic standing of the minority community;
- Provide a mechanism for concerted action in support of the civil rights, cultural values, economic interests, and social dignity of the minority communities by developing ties and providing services;
- Assist minority attorneys and others in their professional pursuits;
- Promote the appointment of others in their professional pursuits;
- Advance the technical and ethical skills and knowledge of attorneys through sponsorship and promotion of legal education programs; and
- Develop a support system for minority law students and for minority individuals seeking admission to law school.